So – am participating in a workshop, supported by CIFAR and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation over the next few days on “Marine Algal and Plant Microbiomes”. The workshop is basically trying to come up with a white paper / position paper on the future of such studies and to continue the conversation about this topic afterwards. We are asking questions like
- What are the challenges and opportunities in this area?
- What are the major scientific questions?
- How are such systems different from fresh water or terrestrial systems?
- How are they different?
- How are marine systems involving other hosts (e.g., coral, sponges, dolphins) comparable (i.e., is there something about marine systems that links them together in any way).
- What tools and resources could help advance work in this area?
So I am posting here asking for a few bits of information from any readers.
- Are you interested in participating in follow up discussions on this topic?
- Do you know of any people we should try to bring into the conversation even if they are not, well, you?
- Are there any major projects in this area that would be worth engaging?
Any thoughts (on the topic that is) would be welcome.