I gave at talk at SIO November 22, 2019 where I talked a bunch about seagrass microbiomes. I posted my slides to Slideshare and you can see them below.
Gave a talk recently trying to give an overview of this project.
I posted slides to Slideshare.
Here they are
And I also recorded the slides in synch with Audio using Camtasia. See
So – am participating in a workshop, supported by CIFAR and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation over the next few days on “Marine Algal and Plant Microbiomes”. The workshop is basically trying to come up with a white paper / position paper on the future of such studies and to continue the conversation about this topic afterwards. We are asking questions like
- What are the challenges and opportunities in this area?
- What are the major scientific questions?
- How are such systems different from fresh water or terrestrial systems?
- How are they different?
- How are marine systems involving other hosts (e.g., coral, sponges, dolphins) comparable (i.e., is there something about marine systems that links them together in any way).
- What tools and resources could help advance work in this area?
So I am posting here asking for a few bits of information from any readers.
- Are you interested in participating in follow up discussions on this topic?
- Do you know of any people we should try to bring into the conversation even if they are not, well, you?
- Are there any major projects in this area that would be worth engaging?
Any thoughts (on the topic that is) would be welcome.
Just got alterned to this new (open access) paper that seems like it should be of interest to the Seagrass Microbiome project: Scientia Agricola – Exploring interactions of plant microbiomes. It has some useful summaries of work that has been done on plant microbiomes.
Just a quick post here – there is a new PeerJ preprint I just found out about via automated Google Scholar alerts that seems like it may be of interest: Distinct root-associated bacterial communities on three wild plant species growing in a common field from Kristin Aleklett, Jonathan W Leff, Noah Fierer, and Miranda Hart.
Been building a reference collection for papers about “marine plant microbiomes”. Right now it is at Mendeley – will be moving it at some point to Zotero probably.
Posted a request to Twitter and got some useful responses.
Here are some