Further Adventures with Winogradskies

Our Winograsky columns have come a long way from our previous post two weeks ago. To review what a Winogradsky column is and our goals for them please see: Adventures with Winogradskies.

After 4 weeks:

IMG_20140725_174355IMG_20140725_173643

Green layers have started to develop on the top of some of the tubes and to a less visible extent on some of the larger containers.

 IMG_20140725_174026 IMG_20140725_173721

In some tubes we are starting to see defined layers. Layers seem to vary between tubes containing seawater from different sample locations as well as between tubes with water from the same location.

IMG_20140725_174437

Unfortunately, our tiny microcentrifuge tubes haven’t changed much in the past two weeks.

4 Weeks vs. 1.5 Weeks:

IMG_20140725_17350420140709_115336

Definitive layers are less visible in our large containers (perhaps due to their non-cylindrical shape?), but there is significant visible growth compared to the containers at 1.5 weeks. Additionally, upon closer inspection both red and green splotches can be found in the container.

Simulating Soil Conditions – 4 weeks:

IMG_20140725_173547IMG_20140725_173556IMG_20140725_173609

At first glance, the container that we covered to simulate soil conditions looks similar to the uncovered columns. However, there is a small white strip at the top of sediment that we don’t see in the uncovered columns. There also appears to be a biofilm growing along the sides of the container.

  IMG_20140725_173615     

As well as the beginning of a layer floating on the top of the seawater in the container.

Experimental tubes at 3 weeks (where we added either Potassium Nitrate or Ammonium Acetate):

IMG_20140725_174116IMG_20140725_174052IMG_20140725_174128 

From left to right: Ammonium Acetate Added, Potassium Nitrate Added, Nothing Added

IMG_20140725_174155

We decided to keep one vial where Ammonium Acetate was added and one vial where Potassium Nitrate was added in complete darkness.

IMG_20140725_174250IMG_20140725_174332IMG_20140725_174344 

From left to right: Dark Potassium Nitrate Added, Light Potassium Nitrate Added, Light Nothing Added

Notice the difference in the amount of bubbles between the vials under different light and chemical conditions. All three of these vials have seawater from the same location.

3 thoughts on “Further Adventures with Winogradskies

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s